
Today is my third day of commuting to work and the journey has been going smoothly so far, even if the trains are usually crammed with people managing to read newspapers or books. It's a marvel to watch them as they carefully use every inch of available space in a way that won't bother the other commuters, folding broadsheet newspapers in origami patterns...
It takes me about half an hour to get by underground from Swiss Cottage to Baker Street, where I change trains to King's Cross, then walk to the British Library, situated nearby the Station. At Baker Street Station, you see several references to Sherlock Holmes, the famous fictional detective who lived at 221B Baker St.

And er... Well, by the way, I learned in Wikipedia this morning that the expression "changing at Baker Street" is a euphemism for anal sex, since Baker Street is one of only two stations on the London Underground (the other being Paddington) where you can change from the Hammersmith & City Line (pink) to the Bakerloo Line (brown)!! London of course is also famous for its 'naughty' and sometimes seedy side, perhaps I will post more about this at a future time.
5 commentaires:
Blue, what an interesting fact about the London underground culture you learn me here! I didn't know the English could have such a quirky sense of humour. From pink to brown... Good heavens! The worst is that I often change at Baker Street Station. I won't do that anymore without thinking about your amusing anecdote.
Yes, better be very careful whom you say "Let's change at Baker Street"... ;-)
Très rigolo cet euphémisme sur Baker Street ... surtout quand on y ajoute un «Mind the Gap» :)
Très drôle, Geneviève. ;)
Nice... I had no idea about this Baker Street 'euphemism'!
Ah, ces Anglais, beaucoup moins coincés qu'on voudrait croire...
Publier un commentaire